Bookish Pet Peeves

Bookish pet peeves… we all have them. From overused tropes to literary devices, each of our reading experiences are shaped by our preferences. For me it is insta-love and conflict that could be solved if the characters would only talk to one another. And that got me thinking: what grinds the gears of other readers? So naturally I took to Twitter to find out what your pet peeves are!

I got some really great answers, see what some of my book blogging friends had to say below!

What about you? Share some of your bookish pet peeves in the comments down below!

spacer

24 thoughts on “Bookish Pet Peeves

I know why some people like insta-love (it’s kind of romantic and destiny and soul mates and aww), but I am a horrible person that – if I am going to read a romance – wants to see conflict and the development of a relationship. I also kind of wish lovers/friends to enemies was a thing because I would be all over that lmaoo

1. Authoress51 says:

To much description for absolutely no reason, ‘There were tall, tree’s by the lake near the campground and puffy clouds in the sky.’ Plus, I am tired of nonrealistic romances. Guy on white horse (the horses are always white) saves damsel in distress and kisses her, passionately. Gag!

2. Rylee says:

Totally hate insta-love too! Also, I’m not a fan of characters that are *too* perfect. I need dimensions to my characters, and I hate princesses and white knights that can do no wrong.

SAME! I like my characters to be put through the ringer and be broken and need to overcome things; I really like it when they work hard to get something rather than being the chosen one that can do no wrong.

Also I wonder what it says about me as a person that I like characters that are broken with complicated backstories

• Rylee says:

Haha, no, it’s totally true! My favorite protags go through hell and come out transformed. If an author wants to break a princess and make her into something new, then I’m cool with that too. If it says something about you, don’t worry, it says it about me as well! I think that just means we like good transformative hero arcs. =)

3. alwaysbooking says:

I was dying laughing at Jamie’s comment from Bubbly books’s 😀 the only time I get to read is when everyone in my house is entertained by the TV. So I’ve gotten really good at reading while so much noise is going on. I understand though what the difference is to read in silence and chaos! A lot of my own pet peeves were mentioned here… I have always hated dog earring pages.. however my own son does it, and my daughter will holler at him for it (also hilarious!) . I think Love Triangles have to be a top 3 for me and it has to be done REALLY well for me to like it. In a romance I hate it when the woman depends on the man.. I need to see them standing on their own and together.

Jamie’s comment is TOO FUNNY ahahaha. And so true!!! Kudos to you for being able to read with chaos all around you – I wish I could do that but I have a hard time focusing. I agree with all of you! I love strong female characters (don’t need no MAN) and love triangles usually drive me nuts. I just read a book that had a weird love rectangle and one of the “love interests” was super skeevy and possessive and it made me really angry.

4. Gayathri Lakshminarayanan says:

Oh oh I got one.
    How about characters introduced in one scene and then go missing in the next? What’s with that? You mean I read an entire chapter to only find they never ever come back in the book?
    I have so many of these peeves that I wrote a two part posts on my blog.

Oh my gosh YES!!! That actually drives me nuts. Like, what happened to them? Are they okay? Why were they only important enough for like one tiny bit?

I will have to check out your posts, and thanks so much for checking out mine!!

5. Evelina @ AvalinahsBooks says:

What a cool idea for a post 🙂 for me it’s messy dialogue… you know, like how they don’t use dialogue punctuation? Very common for South American books, and partly why I can’t stomach them. It’s just hard to follow and I feel like the author is trying to be array fartsy and pretentious -.-