As discussed in the Reading Around the Globe series, the truth is that book lovers and bloggers outside of the US/UK/AUS are not afforded the same privileges as those of us that live in countries with English publishers. It isn’t about the quality of their reviews or how engaged their audience is with their content: these fantastic bloggers are not even considered for physical ARCs from the publishers due to the shipping costs (eARCs are also country-restricted, but that isn’t the focus of this post).
As a blogger living in the United States, I recognize my privilege and want to use it to help international bloggers and
hopefully inspire change. I am so excited to be launching this feature after over a month and a half of planning!
The goal of Flapping Pages is to serve as a hub for trading ARCs, with the focus of ensuring that more get into the hands of international and own voices readers. If you have arcs that you don’t intend on keeping, please consider passing them along to other readers through this program!
How it will work: ARC donations
First, THANK YOU for considering donating your ARC to this cause! It is absolutely wonderful that you want to help support international bloggers! If you have an arc that you would like to pass on to an international blogger:
- Fill out this form to let me know which ARC(s) you want to donate, and I will reach out to you & handle the rest!
In terms of shipping, from my perspective there are two ways that we can offer this ARC to the international community (but am open to suggestions):
- Sending the book directly to the international reviewer selected.
- If you’d prefer to send the book via media mail to me that is also an option. I’ll send the ARC to the international recipient on your behalf. I will be shipping from California.
I will list the ARC on the spreadsheet, include the title in the monthly newsletter, tweet about its availability, and manage submissions to select a recipient. If you want to be more involved, the more the merrier -just let me know!
How it will work: ARC requests
Are you an international reviewer interested in getting your hands on physical copies of arcs?! Check out the list below and be sure to follow @FlappingPages on Twitter (and follow #FlappingPagesARCs) and sign up for the Flapping Pages Newsletter so you don’t miss when new ARCs become available!
The above spreadsheet automatically refreshes when new books are added, so please take a peek and see if there’s something here for you! When looking at the ARCs available for request, please make note of the preferences: some are restricted to own-voices readers, teen readers, or interests. All are intended to be sent to international reviewers.
If there is a book listed that you are interested in reading and reviewing:
- Please complete the form below (or click here) for consideration. I will contact the selected ARC recipient to arrange details via email within 3 days of the request deadline.
- If selected, please post your review of the ARC within 6 weeks of delivery and be sure to link back here so others can learn about the program!
- Once the book has made it internationally, it would be awesome if it could be passed on to other international bloggers after the selected recipient has had an opportunity to read the ARC! If you would like to pass the book on to another blogger, please reach out to me and I’ll list it for request and note any country/region preferences based on your location to help you find a reviewer.
Additional Details and FAQs
Why did you start this? Just to get more ARCs? Fair question, but I can assure you that I have plenty of books to read already without adding to my TBR Tower! I honestly wanted a way to pass along my ARCs to other readers, and thought that if I could inspire others at the same time it would be a win/win!
Funding? It is no secret that the main reason international bloggers are typically left out is due to shipping costs, and that is the biggest barrier to getting this program off the ground as well. I’ve decided that any income earned from affiliate links on Reader Voracious Blog beyond what offsets my hosting costs will be used to help ship ARCs through this program, as well as a small amount of money that I will set aside monthly to establish a postage fund. But I cannot do it alone, so if you are able and would like to donate, more information is below.
How can I help? In addition to offering up your ARCs to the program, there are two other ways that you can help:
- Spread the word! Even if you don’t have arcs (or love them too much to pass them along), this will only work if people know it is an option! If international bloggers don’t know about this resource to make requests, I may as well just throw my ARCs into the void.
- If you are financially able, send a donation to help get more ARCs in the hands of international readers. I have set up a Paypal account specifically for Flapping Pages, KaleenaReviews (at) gmail.com.
How can I get updates? You can sign up for the Flapping Pages Newsletter! Vicky and I are collaborating to put together a monthly (at first, it may increase to bi-weekly) email that will include a list of all ARCs available for request, program updates and donor shout-outs, and I am sure more down the road!
#FlappingPagesARCs Follow our hashtag #FlappingPagesARCs on Twitter if you want to see updates when a new book has been donated & is available to request!
Got suggestions or ideas? I don’t assume to have all the answers, and I expect that this program will evolve quite a bit with feedback and suggestions from the community. I want your feedback. I want this to be a program that addresses this disparity in the best possible way, so if you have ideas please let me know! You can leave a comment on this post, or if you want to collaborate in private feel free to send me a DM on Twitter or email me through my Contact Page!
I am looking forward to growing Flapping Pages along the way beyond this initial framework, but I wanted to get this part released now since it is ready instead of holding it for even longer in my drafts. Additions that are hopefully coming soon include a bi-weekly/monthly newsletter with new books available (I plan on shifting to monthly deadlines if this really takes off) and maintaining a donation wishlist that own-voices/teen/international reviewers are looking for donations. Vicky deserves an extra shoutout here as she has been the one to provide so many of these amazing enhancement ideas and I look forward to implementing them! You are amazing Vicky, thank you! 💖