October Book Haul

It’s almost December and of course that means that it is the perfect time to look at the books I added to my collection in October. I will be honest and I’ve been hesitant to post this haul (hence it being posted at the end of November). I don’t want to give the impression that you need to buy and own a lot of books in order to be considered a book blogger or lover; I am just fortunate to be at a place in my life that I can afford to spend money on books. I am quite frugal with everything else so that I can buy them!

The majority of these books I got on BookOutlet for incredibly cheap, which stretches the money I set aside for books further. I am working on a post for finding bookish deals, but it will be awhile as I am looking for more international resources before posting it. But without further adieu, let’s see what I added to my shelves in October!

The Haul

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer 20 Years of Slaying: The Watcher’s Guide by Christpher Golden
  • The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton   |  📖 Read my full review here!
  • And I Darken by Kiersten White
  • Asylum by Madeline Roux
  • Sanctum (Asylum, Bk. 2) by Madeline Roux
  • Catacomb (An Asylum Novel, Bk. 3) by Madeline Roux
  • Escape From Asylum by Madeline Roux
  • The Asylum Novellas by Madeline Roux
  • Dracula (Puffin Classics) by Bram Stoker
  • Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
  • Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, Bk.1) by Amie Kaufman, Jay Kristoff
  • Pretty Little Liars #1 by Sara Shepard
  • The Dark Side of Nowhere by Neal Shusterman  |  📖 Read my full review here!
  • To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Cristo
  • Warcross by Marie lu
  • This Cruel Design (Mortal Coil #2) by Emily Suvada

While on vacation in Vancouver, my best friend and I visited probably every independent bookshop in the city proper. Our goal was to find a book to buddy read together, which proved difficult in used bookshops. We finally found an Indigo (amazing, by the way! Canada you are lucky!) and settled on Vox. I also couldn’t leave without buying this special hardback with shiny silver sprayed edges of American Gods and Anansi Boys… who cares if I already own both of them?

Free Kindle Deals

• North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
  • HellCorp: Because even the Devil needs a holiday…. by Jonathan Whitlaw

ARC Approvals

• Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield (NetGalley), publishes December 4, 2018
  • If You’re Out There by Katy Loutzenhiser (Edelweiss), publishes March 5, 2019

That’s it for the books that I hauled in October! Are any of these on your TBRs, or have you read them? I’d love to hear your thoughts about them!

49 thoughts on “October Book Haul

1. Tammy says:

You should never apologize for how you spend your money. I follow a lot of bloggers who are still in high school or college and therefore have no money, lol, so I’m sure to them it’s shocking when us grown ups can afford to buy lots of books. I buy a LOT myself and honestly it’s no one else’s business how I choose to spend my money. I share my book hauls because I love books and I get excited to share what I find with others, I figure people who are jealous or offended by big book hauls can choose not to read my posts or follow me. Wow, I had no idea this was going to turn into a rant!! Sorry!!

Thank you so much, Tammy! Don’t you apologize for your rant, you made me feel a lot better about sharing. My friend Taylor pretty much said the same thing to me and said she loves reading haul posts because it helps her find buddy reads & books to add to TBR.

I just didn’t want people to feel bad by my post or think that I was bragging in any way. I do work really hard for my money though and am fortunate to be at a place in my life where I can afford to buy books. I adore you, thanks for taking the time to comment! (also I love your haul posts!)

2. dragonsandzombies says:

Don’t ever feel bad for buying books or feel the need to justify it 🙂

Spend money on what you like, I always say 😀 It’s yours and there for spending. Money doesn’t make you happy, but the things you spend it on definitely do! (Also, I like reading book haul posts^^)

I need a shiny pretty version of ‘American Gods’ as well at some point.

Thank you so much, this means a lot! I also really enjoy reading haul posts, but was honestly kind of embarrassed and nervous about posting mine. I don’t want to make anyone feel bad or rub it in their faces.

I love my shiny copy of American Gods so much. I nabbed it at Indigo in Vancouver!

3. Kelly Brigid says:

Ooh, ooh, SO many lovely books here! I hope you adore TKAK, Dracula, and Warcross! And I haven’t read Illuminae and Flame in the Mist yet, but I own both. They’re just sitting on my shelf calling me. Hahahaha.

I read Asylum last month and it was a decent read for me… excited to read the rest of the series though! They are a good book to pick up when you are feeling slumpish, at least for me!

I know, that American Gods/Anansi Boys book was screaming at me and I had to wear more clothes than I would have liked on my flight home to make room for it in my suitcase. Worth it!

4. Christine says:

I read the first book in the Pretty Little Liars series. I just couldn’t quite get into it. This is QUITE the haul. I am impressed. Girl, buy away! You can be any type of book blogger that you wish to be ; ) Frugal, free, or expensive.

I’ve been getting too many ARCs from new authors…I am so behind. It makes me miss searching NetGalley more often for great reads. I’ve also turned down a ton, which makes me sad. Not enough time in the darn day.

What’s one secret to read more? Less TV is needed for me. But after blogging all day, I need some binge Netflix series.

Pretty Little Liars was totally my “guilty pleasure” tv series, although I don’t really like calling anything a guilty pleasure. Never read the books and the show jumped the shark and angered me SO MUCH, but so many people told me the books were good so I decided to nab it. Not too bad, an enjoyable and fast read for me. I am actually reading the rest of the series now via Library loans, and plan on donating the two physical copies I bought to my library!

Definitely not enough time in the day for reading! I haven’t been reading many ARCs lately, which has been nice. They pick up again for January releases though. I haven’t been watching much TV lately, I seem to go in waves. I think I am going to rewatch BSG though.