The End of the Year Book Tag: 2018

I cannot believe that there are only twenty-five days remaining in 2018! The year has flown by for me and I am really excited for a fresh start (this year has had the lowest of lows for me). But before I skip on into the new year, I wanted to do the end of the year book tag! Many thanks to Abmost Fiction and Destiny @ Howling Libraries for tagging me, we all know that I love a good reflection!

Are there any books you started this year that you need to finish?

This question honestly kind of makes me anxious, haha. I am currently reading four books that I would like to finish before the end of the year (soon to be five as my buddy read for Illuminae begins tonight). Here’s what I am currently reading and how far I am:

221931From Novice to Master: An Ongoing Lesson in the Extent of My Own Stupidity
by Soko Morinaga (re-read)
pg 31/154

38464992Firefly: Big Damn Hero
by James Lovegrove
pg 89/384

8117276Unbelievable (Pretty Little Liars, #4)
by Sara Shepard
39% read

40130093Once Upon a River
by Diane Setterfield [ARC]
0% read

23395680Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1)
by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
0% read

I also have four books on my ‘Not Now’ shelf, and although I am not likely to get to all of them, it would be nice to wrap up these as well! All of these books I picked up but wasn’t in the right mood or mindset to read; with This Cruel Design and Vengeful it is actually fear based and I have an upcoming post talking about that.

Do you have an autumnal book to transition into the end of the year?

Not really, no.

Is there a new release you’re still waiting for?

39402961
I am anxiously awaiting my copy of Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful by Arwen Elys Dayton to arrive and it is my last 2018 release! I was really excited to see it was this month’s pick for the Mysterious Galaxy Book Subscription after seeing Justine’s review!

What are three books you want to read before the end of the year?

Uhh.. I listed 9 in the first question. If I had to choose which three from that list: Illuminae, Firefly, and Vengeful.

Is there a book you think could still shock you and become your favorite book of the year?

It’s possible! I am really excited for Illuminae because it is a SQUAD Buddy read and we are reading along with the audiobook – which I have heard is full cast and incredible.

Have you already started making reading plans for 2019?

Have you met me? Of course I have begun making plans for 2019, but I am not ready to share them yet. 😁

TAGS:

Bianca @ Ultimate Fangirl  |  Cassie @ Let’s Get Galactic  |  Avery @ Red Rocket Panda

35 thoughts on “The End of the Year Book Tag: 2018

1. Alyssa says:

I have so many books to finish too! I can’t believe it’s already December. Looks like you’re making great progress on yours, though! I’m hoping to start the Illuminae Files next year. Happy reading!

2. Marie says:

Ohhhh you’re reading the Pretty Little Liars series! I read that one ages ago, but I kind of gave up after book… 11? Something like that. I loved the twists and drama, but it was getting a bit long. I hope you’re enjoying it so far? 🙂

3. Kelly Brigid says:

Love your answers, Kaleena! I ASPIRE to have my blogging life as put together as you do. ❤ I'm hoping to read Illuminae soon, and am dying to see your thoughts on it! I've heard the audiobook experience is wonderful as well, but I'm horrendous at reading audiobooks, so I'll probably just stick to the paperback I have for it. Hahaha! Happy reading, love!

4. Bianca @ The Ultimate Fangirl says:

Thank you so much for tagging me, Kaleena! Tbh, this tag is making me anxious since I’m such a mood reader. But nonetheless, I think this is quite a fun tag to do just to check if you still have something up your sleeve.

I love Illuminae! It was one of the best books I read in 2015 and it got me hooked on sci-fi. Kady Grant is basically my hacker mom. 💕 I hope you have a fantastic time with the audiobook.

And honestly same. I just want 2018 to get it over with. Happy reading, and I’m crossing my fingers for you in achieving these goals. 😊

5. Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts) says:

WAIT FOR ME WITH THIS CRUEL DESIGN I’M STILL WAITING ON THIS MORTAL COIL. Also you need to read Six of Crows ASAP. I implore you to move it up your TBR as I have with This Mortal Coil.

Illuminae is AMAZING in audiobook form, Kal. You’re going to love it and if you don’t pay attention like me, you’re going to feel bad like me. 😀

6. jamsu says:

I liked Illuminae but didn’t love it. I’m still waiting my copy of the last Throne of Glass book. Hopefully you’ll get your copy of Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful soon.

7. sammers65 says:

OKAY YOU HAVE TO WAIT TO READ CRUEL DESIGN. I JUST GOT MORTAL COIL YESTERDAY. AND HELL YES TO ILLUMINAE!!!! OH MY HEART IS SOARING THAT YOU ARE READING/LISTENING TO THIS. 10/10 would recommend. GOLD.

And uh….I see you got SOC up there…uh we need to figure out when that bad boy is getting demolished. lol. xD

OKAY OKAY OKAY! I suppose the good thing about my FAILING on my squad buddy read of TCD is that I can try again to read it with you when you get to it! I hope that you enjoy the book as much as I did!!!

Illuminae is INCREDIBLE. Currently on page 150 but plan on spending a good amount of today reading & listening!

Uh… yea, SoC. We need to get that albatross from our necks!

• sammers65 says:

Its not failing if you squint your eyes and crane your neck to the side. So boom! you are winning! Plus now you will get the chance to experience my ever the great commentary. A time shall be had.

YESSSSSS ILUMINAE FOR EVER!!!

And uh yeah. Yeah we do. 😂😂

8. Lindsi says:

I’m currently reading Once Upon a River! I had every intention of reading it before its release date, but it just didn’t work out. I’m only a few pages in! What is the Firefly book you’re reading? I LOVED the series and was super bummed when they cancelled it after one season. However, they just started a new comic that picks up right after, and it’s fabulous! They’ve only published the first issue, and I’m really looking forward to the next one.

Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?

I am strangely glad that I am not the only one that missed the release date for Once Upon a River! I feel really bad, but I know better than to try and force it when I am not in the mood. I hope you are enjoying it!

The book is called Big Damn Hero by James Lovelace and Nancy Holder, and is the first of 3 new books in the ‘verse! I also loved the show so much and still mourn its cancellation, but also live in a world where the movie does not exist. These books pick up after the show and before the movie. Happy me. I will have to check out the comic, do you have info on it?!

9. Angela says:

You now have 24 days to finish all of that!! 😂 But omg, I’m guilty of that too and I have more than 4 books in my ‘currently reading’ list. And also Ms. Organized WHO???! You have a reading plan already I am so jealous!! 😭

Hahaha yea, plenty to keep me occupied this month for SURE! Thankfully I am taking the last 2 weeks of the month off of work, so hopefully I will have some extra time for reading!

I do have a plan because I am obsessively Type A, but have you seen my awesome 2019 book blogger spreadsheet template?! Because you can also be super organized if you want, for free! Here’s the link to the post!

10. Sophie Li says:

Hello Kaleena!
    Hope that you enjoy Illuminae. It is one of my favourites when it comes to YA sci-fi 🙂 I loved Six of Crows as well. Although it is in your “not now” pile, hope that you will enjoy it when you get to it! Wishing you a wonderful December 🙂

Hi Sophie, thank you so much for your comment! I am LOVING Illuminae so far, it is fantastic! I read the first chapter of Six of Crows about 6 weeks ago and can tell I will really like the book, it just wasn’t the right time for me. Hopefully the stars will align soon. Happy reading!

11. Jamie says:

Goodness I don’t even want to think about all of the books I started this year that I didn’t finish. I hit a reading slump and couldn’t stay engaged with ANYTHING for all of summer. I had never heard of Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful until this post but I am adding it to my TBR! I’m a huge fan of Black Mirror and anything dark science fiction.