Announcing the Fall Traveling Book Review
“Nothing in this book is true.”
– Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
Welcome to the inaugural edition of the Traveling Book Review! In this new feature, I will select one of my favorite books from my collection per season to go on a trip around the country (or world?!) to visit my favorite bloggers and have them share their thoughts about the book!
How does the Traveling Book Review work?
- You can sign up until 21:59 PDT on August 31, 2018 to participate in the Fall Traveling Book Review.
- I will email all participants with the schedule on September 1, 2018 and will mail the book out to the first person on the list.
- Each person in the review chain has two weeks from receiving the book to read it before mailing it to the next person. Send me the tracking number once you have sent it off, and if there is a delay, please contact me right away so I can adjust the schedule accordingly!
- While the book is in your possession, you are encouraged to sign it somewhere on the inside cover or front/back matter of the book as well as notate the book with your thoughts as you read!
- Please write a review of the book on your blog and link back to this post so we can see everyone’s thoughts!
- Share on Social Media using #TravelingBookReview!
- I am providing the copy of the book (and it will eventually be sent back to me), the only cost of participation is shipping – a small media mail box with USPS is approximately $5.
- If you cannot afford the cost of shipping but want to participate with your own copy of the book ($7 on Book Depository; affiliate link), you can be a follow-along reader!! Just comment on this post to let me know!
What do you mean I am to write in your book?!!?!
I heard each of you audibly gasp in horror when you read #4 above, don’t pretend like you didn’t! It is no secret that I love writing in my books – I consider books to be a conduit for a conversation with the author, and writing my thoughts is my way of conversing with the author. I also enjoy seeing what I thought about a book on previous reads, and the notations I make in the margins are like a fossil record!
I know you would never mark up your books, but for this experiment, I want you to! I think it would be so fun to be able to read what all of you thought alongside my own notes (and maybe I want to bring you to the dark side). If you don’t feel comfortable writing in the book that is fine, but please do sign it when it’s in your possession and be sure to post your review!
Okay fine, this sounds fun. What’s the book?
The Traveling Book Review for Fall 2018 will be my well-loved copy of Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. This is a 287 fast-paced read that, like most of Vonnegut’s work, is difficult to categorize. Here’s the synopsis:
Told with deadpan humour and bitter irony, Kurt Vonnegut’s cult tale of global destruction preys on our deepest fears of witnessing Armageddon and, worse still, surviving it …
Dr Felix Hoenikker, one of the founding ‘fathers’ of the atomic bomb, has left a deadly legacy to the world. For he’s the inventor of ‘ice-nine’, a lethal chemical capable of freezing the entire planet. The search for its whereabouts leads to Hoenikker’s three ecentric children, to a crazed dictator in the Caribbean, to madness. Felix Hoenikker’s Death Wish comes true when his last, fatal gift to humankind brings about the end, that for all of us, is nigh…
How do I sign up?
You can sign up until 21:59 PDT on August 31, 2018 to participate in the Fall Traveling Book Review by completing the form below. If you are having difficulty with the embedded form, you can load it on its own page here.
What information is collected and how will it be shared?
As this is a book in my collection making its rounds around the country (world?), I will need to collect your postal address when you complete the Google Form. I am the only person with access to the form and the results, and I will only be sharing your address with the person that is going to send the book to you. (This is a chain, me –> person –> person –> person –> me.) Once the Fall Traveling Book Review has concluded, I will delete the form responses from my Google Drive and my computer.
I am so excited for the inaugural Traveling Book Review and to be able to share one of my favorite books with you all! I am looking forward to interacting with you all and seeing your thoughts… and bringing you into my karass. You will know what that means after reading this book. 😉
Let’s go on another adventure together!