Winter Traveling Book Review: Ready Player One
Welcome friends to the announcement for the Winter Traveling Book Review! My copy of Cat’s Cradle is currently on its way to Canada and enjoying its adventure for the Fall Traveling Book Review, but with a new season, it is time to get a new book started!
In case you are new here, I started this feature primarily to select a book from my collection per season to go on a trip around the country (or world?!) to visit my favorite bloggers and have them share their thoughts about the book. Last time I chose one of my favorite books, but this time I wanted to pick one of the backlist titles on my shelf that I hadn’t read yet. I set up a Twitter poll between five books that I shortlisted… and came up with a tie. Of course. So I broke the tie… what did I choose? Read on to find out!
How does the Traveling Book Review work?
- You can sign up until 21:59 PDT on December 31, 2018 to participate in the Winter Traveling Book Review.
- I will email all participants with the schedule on or around January 1, 2019 and will mail the book out to the first person on the list.
- Each person in the review chain has two weeks from receiving the book to read it before mailing it to the next person. Send me the tracking number once you have sent it off, and if there is a delay, please contact me right away so I can adjust the schedule accordingly!
- While the book is in your possession, you are encouraged to sign it somewhere on the inside cover or front/back matter of the book as well as notate the book with your thoughts as you read!
- Please write a review of the book on your blog and link back to this post so we can see everyone’s thoughts!
- Share on Social Media using #TravelingBookReview!
- I am providing the copy of the book (and it will eventually be sent back to me), the only cost of participation is shipping – a small media mail box with USPS is approximately $5.
- If you cannot afford the cost of shipping but want to participate with your own copy of the book ($8 on Book Depository; affiliate link), you can be a follow-along reader!! Just comment on this post to let me know!
What do you mean I am to write in your book?!!?!
I heard each of you audibly gasp in horror when you read #4 above, don’t pretend like you didn’t! It is no secret that I love writing in my books – I consider books to be a conduit for a conversation with the author, and writing my thoughts is my way of conversing with the author. I also enjoy seeing what I thought about a book on previous reads, and the notations I make in the margins are like a fossil record!
I know you would never mark up your books, but for this experiment, I want you to! I think it would be so fun to be able to read what all of you thought alongside my own notes (and maybe I want to bring you to the dark side). If you don’t feel comfortable writing in the book that is fine, but please do sign it when it’s in your possession and be sure to post your review!
Okay fine, this sounds fun. What’s the book?
The Traveling Book Review for Winter 2019 will be my copy of Ready Player One by Ernest Cline that I picked up during a Friends of the Library sale earlier this year but haven’t yet read. Here’s the synopsis:
In the year 2045, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he’s jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade’s devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world’s digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator’s obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade’s going to survive, he’ll have to win—and confront the real world he’s always been so desperate to escape.
How do I sign up?
You can sign up until 21:59 PDT on December 31, 2018 to participate in the Winter Traveling Book Review by completing the form below. If you are having difficulty with the embedded form, you can load it on its own page here.
What information is collected and how will it be shared?
As this is a book in my collection making its rounds around the country (world?), I will need to collect your postal address when you complete the Google Form. I am the only person with access to the form and the results, and I will only be sharing your address with the person that is going to send the book to you. (This is a chain, me –> person –> person –> person –> me.) Once the Winter Traveling Book Review has concluded, I will delete the form responses from my Google Drive and my computer.
I am so excited for the second book in the Traveling Book Review and to be able to share read a new book with you all! I am looking forward to interacting with you all and seeing your thoughts… and bringing you into my karass.
Let’s go on another adventure together!