I saw this ‘Would You Rather” quiz on Buzzfeed and thought it would be fun to answer these bookish questions and see what your responses would be! For each question I also shared how my responses fared with the other Buzzfeed quiz takers in addition to expanding on my reasoning. So, let’s get started and I hope that you play along. 😍
1. Would you rather have a friend who loses your books, or one who dog-ears them?
Dog-earer for sure (86% of votes). I actually am not overly concerned with keeping my books in pristine condition other than the cover and ensuring the pages aren’t being ripped out. Then again I write in my books, but that is a topic for another day.
2. Would you rather secretly love a book everyone else hates, or secretly hate a book everyone else loves?
To be quite honest I don’t care one way or another, and books are so totally subjective. I have been on both ends of the spectrum, and honestly, appreciate that I can still think critically about a book despite the popular opinion. I chose Love a hated book (58% of votes) mainly because I really enjoy finding the positives in books and would rather love a book than hate it any day of the week.
3. Would you rather be stuck on a very long plane or train ride without a book?
Another one that doesn’t really matter to me because I get intense motion sickness and cannot read on a plane, in a car, on a train, or even on a boat. I’ve tried everything from Dramamine to that pressure point wristband thing that pregnant women wear and nothing works. 😭😭😭 But I chose train (51% of votes) because it is more scenic out the window.
4. Would you rather have dinner with your favorite author or your favorite character?
THIS ONE IS SO HARD, FRIENDS! I choose author (17% of votes) because they are the creator of the character and all sorts of universes that I loved. I would kill for the opportunity to have dinner with Kurt Vonnegut. I know he is dead, but science can make that happen, right?
5. Would you rather date a character you have a crush on or your crush from real life?
LOLOLOL. Character for sure (63% of votes)! I know this is a bookish post, but I am not going to even lie – I freaking LOVE Alistair from Dragon Age Origins and every time I play the game and romance him I get butterflies. It’s sad, but whatever.
6. Would you rather have your favorite book turned into a movie, or your favorite movie turned into a book?
Oh wow this is such a difficult question because I feel like adaptations really are never as good as the original medium. But The Handmaid’s Tale Hulu show is amazing, so it can be done well (even though it is the exception to a rule). I think it is harder to go from seeing it in film to a book, so I vote book to movie (67% of votes).
7. Would you rather read a book with an annoying cliffhanger, or one where your favorite character is killed off?
*choked sobbing* HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO CHOOSE?! I hate cliffhangers so freaking much and they are why I hate reading/watching series until they are finished. I would much rather be late to the awesomeness than sit there for months or years waiting to see what happened. Like, that is literally the worst. But how can I vote to kill off my favorite character?! I may have grown up on Joss Whedon killing my favorite characters in tv shows, but afnskjgh. Fine. Cliffhangers (60% of votes).
8. Would you rather lose the ability to read any new books, or the ability to reread books you’ve already read?
Hands down no more re-reading for me (79% of votes). While I have beloved books that I enjoy rereading, I would be so sad to not be able to read any new books!
9. Would you rather live in a library or a bookstore?
Library (57% of votes) I guess. The dream is really to be surrounded by books.
10. Would you rather lose your place or get a paper cut every time you read a book?
What a strange question. Losing my place (73% of votes) I guess because I am a wuss when it comes to pain.
11. Would you rather have to always read in the dark, or always read books with tiny text?
Both of these are nightmare for my eyeballs, but reading in the dark is so bad for you (and I find nearly impossible unless you are on an e-reader), so I guess tiny text and squinting-wrinkles would be in my future (64% of votes).
12. Would you rather read by a fireplace, or on the beach?
Fireplace, 1000% (69% of votes). I spent the first 28 years of my life in San Diego and absolutely adore the beach, but I have never been able to read at the beach or by the pool. The sun reflects off the pages and blinds me, it is hard to get comfortable… and reading for me is a cozy activity. Warm, kitty snuggles, and a cup of tea!
What did you think about this “hardest game of would you rather”? Share your thoughts down below!