Welcome to the inaugural year of the Bookish Reader’s Choice Awards! 🎉 Designed to actually give readers their voice to determine the “best” reads of the year, the goal of these awards is to recognize all of the amazing stories we got to read this year!
Why create these awards when Goodreads already does them?
I have long since felt like the Goodreads Choice Awards has solely been a marketing tool for Amazon to drive sales on the most hyped titles and newest releases. (Amazon bought Goodreads in 2013.) This has never been so evident than with this year’s nominations round. But the disparity goes beyond just the biggest marketing budgets: it adversely affects authors of color and other marginalized groups. YA author Margaret Owen eloquently points this out on Twitter:
I appreciate folks saying they're writing in TMC, but actually, I'm going to ask y'all to write in WHTF. It's 2019. The fact that there is not a single debut author of color on the YA SFF list, and only 3 out of its 15 nominees are by authors of color period, is a problem. https://t.co/g34ffJuHC7
— Margaret Owen, Temporary Hermit (@what_eats_owls) November 5, 2019
I am so excited to finally reveal this project and open up the nominations round for you all! In order to ensure fairness, all nominations will be done on the nominations form. I encourage you to make a post to celebrate your nominations (use the hashtag #BookishReadersChoice2019 and link to this post) to help spread the word so as many readers can participate!
Award Categories (Adult & YA Separate)
✨ Literary fiction
✨ True Crime
✨ Historical Fiction
✨ Contemporary (Realistic Fiction)
✨ Science Fiction
✨ Memoir & Autobiography
✨ Science & Technology
✨ Graphic Novels & Comics
✨ Picture Books
✨ Middle Grade
✨ Favorite Villain
✨ Favorite OTP
✨ Favorite Setting
✨ Favorite Sequel
✨ Cover Appreciation
✨ Favorite Squad
✨ Debut Novel
✨ Favorite Book
- Any book published between November 1, 2018 and October 31, 2019 are eligible for nomination.
- You are able to nominate up to three books for each subcategory.
- You do not need to nominate a book for every category.
- Every award category has two subcategories: Adult and Young Adult.
- The nominations form closes at 23:59 on November 30, 2019.
- Only nominations submitted via the form will be counted. The form collects an email address to ensure people only vote once, but email addresses will be deleted after nominations have been tallied.
- General voting will begin on December 3, 2019.
Go forth and nominate, my dear friends! I can’t wait to see what books everyone loved this year, and give the authors a boost of recognition and appreciation in the process. If you do make a nominations post to explain your nominees, please be sure to use #BookishReadersChoice2019 on Twitter to make sure that I see it!
If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know in the comments or reach out to me on Twitter @kalventure!
- Reads Rainbow organized the Alternative(ish) Choice Awards to recognize the LGBTQIAP+ books released in 2019.
- Magical Reads organized the YA 2019 Releases Authors of Color Awards!
Let’s go on another adventure together!
Thank you so much to Loretta @ Laughing Listener for the award graphics! *cackles in secrets*