This isn’t the post I originally planned for today, but it didn’t feel right to carry on with my posting schedule like it was any normal Sunday. 2020 has been difficult for nearly everyone, and it feels like we’ve all become accustomed to the absolute chaos that is the news cycle. There’s so much happening all the time and sadly a lot of important topics slip through the cracks.
The Philippines have been ravaged by four typhoons in a matter of weeks, including the world’s most powerful storm of the year. The regions in the north are seeing the worst floods in the last 45 years, leaving villages underwater, people stranded on rooftops, whole cities without running water or electricity. Villages already decimated by storms earlier this month were hit again. And all of this is happening during a pandemic.
So many people in the book blogging community live in the Philippines, and it’s been heartbreaking to see them working tirelessly to raise awareness and ask for help. Please take a few minutes to read about how you can raise awareness and provide typhoon relief.
5 Ways You Can Help and Show Your Support
It is time for all of us to collectively use our voices and there are a lot of ways you can get involved to help those affected by the typhoons in the Philippines.
- Use your privilege and platform to boost information, carrds, and news about what’s happening in the Philippines.
- Share donation links and fundraisers.
- Donate money to relief efforts (don’t donate to government directly)
- 1 USD is almost 50 PPH pesos; no amount is too small to make an impact.
- Watch Donate to the PH videos with adblockers off to help contribute to relief efforts (don’t skip the ads and don’t mute the video on Youtube)
- Host giveaways or fundraisers to encourage donations to relief efforts. Many in the bookish community are donating their time and skills to show their support – you don’t have to donate money to help. Check out the #BooksForPHRelief tag on Twitter!
With calls against donating to the PH govt and cases of fraudulent fundraisers, it’s hard to know where to donate.
If you’re comfortable, you can send me your donation & I’ll forward them to local relief efforts.
— Shealea on hiatus 🌻🍃 (@shutupshealea) November 15, 2020
Giveaway to Fundraise for Typhoon Relief
I’m using my November Patreon funds to host a giveaway to encourage donations to relief funds. Donate at least $5 and DM me proof on Twitter to be entered to win a book of your choice by a BIPOC author (up to $20 value). International where Book Depository ships.
Winner will be chosen on November 21st, and I will donate the rest of my Patreon funds via Shealea to distribute locally on that date as well.
‼️ International Giveaway #BooksForPHRelief ‼️
Donate at least $5 to relief funds & DM proof to be entered to win a book of your choice by a BIPOC.
-INTL where TBD ships
-I'll pick a winner on 11/21
November in the US is traditionally a time of giving & it's time to show up. https://t.co/7fi9wujQN4
— Kal @ Reader Voracious (@kalventure) November 15, 2020
November in the United States is traditionally the time of giving. I know there are so many in need given the state of everything in the world, but if you have any funds to spare I encourage you to send relief to the Philippines.
Let’s go on another adventure together!